What is the best thing you can remember about Italy? Is it delicious food, like pizza and pasta? Well, aside from the country’s mouthwatering delicacies, their tourism spot is another point you can discover on your next travel. Talking about Italian tourism, the Colosseum surely will not be skipped from the list.
Discover Colosseum, Italian Tourism Spot Known as One of the Seven Wonders
If you are planning to visit Europe—Italy to be more specific, you shouldn’t forget to include Colosseum in your bucket list. Here is some information regarding the building which has been built dated back from the first century.
Quick Information about Colosseum in Rome
The Colosseum Rome is situated in Piazza del Colosseo, Rome 00184
- Open hours
The building is open for visit every day from 08:30 AM to 07.00 PM. At Christmas and New Year, the place is closed.
- Transportation to get there
If you are taking metro, you can take the Colosseo metro line B.
- Entrance ticket price
There are various prices you can get depending on your ‘status’ as a visitor. The details will be mentioned as follows:
o Adults (from non-EU member countries) : €12.00 (approx. $13.50)
o Adults (from EU-member countries): €7.50 (approx. 8.40)
o Children (less than 17 years old) and seniors (over 65) EU-member countries: free entrance
- Special offers:
Colosseum tour and Gladiator entrance -> €49
Read More : Unique Things about the Tower of Pisa
10 Unique Facts about Colosseum
Wondering about the facts about Colosseum? Check out this explanation below as we mention 10 facts about this largest amphitheater in the world.
- The Colosseum of Rome is built during the period of Emperor Vespasian, which takes place in 72 A.D. to 80 A.D. The building is situated in the heart of ancient Rome.
- This large amphitheater is mainly built from concrete and stone; which was constructed with tens of thousands slaves to work on it.
- Colosseum is the largest amphitheater in the world. The building is 189 meter long, 50 m high and 156 meters wide. Its height can even be similar with a 12-store building. A whole football pitch of modern day can be placed inside it!
- If someone asks you how many entrances are in the building, well you should no longer be hesitant with it. There are 80 entrances to get into the building.
- How many people can fit into the building? Well, it’s a whopping number of 50,000! Even for today, it’s a large number of people. Remind you that it is a building of the past.
- What is the use of Colosseum in the past days? It’s for holding events which are typically be conducted by the Emperor to get public’s support and popularity.
- The building has survived various kinds of ‘calamities’—be it earthquakes or vandalism—but still remains as one of the most popular places in the world. Sounds awesome, right?
- Back then, there is a structure of the Colosseum which is called as velarium. This structure is basically a canopy which can be used to protect the spectators from scorching sun or rain.
- The games typically played on the stage are gladiator and animal hunts. Starting after the completion of the building, it lasts for more than four centuries. Such plays ended in the sixth century.
- The games are not ones you’ll find these days: it can be a gladiatorial game or animal hunts, which can kill more than 10,000 animals within one day. Sound scary if it happens these days, but that was one of the sources of crowd’s cheers back then.
Read More : Unique Place to Explore when Coming to Khao Yai
There are various tours you can get while going to Colosseum. Typically, the tour includes not only Roman Colosseum, but also several cities nearby which will be great if you are a time-bound traveler.
To mention some, there are Colosseum tours like Colosseum, Palatine Hill, and Roman Forum tours. Other kinds of tours will include Vatican City and other smaller tourism spots throughout the city.
The price will be priced around $20-$60. However, keep in mind that the price may differ—hence you should be updated with the current price at the time you plan to travel.
Read More : Explore Italy, and Enjoy Its Beauty
Nearest Hotel Recommendation
What to prepare if you are traveling to Rome’s Colosseum
Just as you need to prepare for any other trips, there are several things you need to prepare for the trip to Rome. Flights and accommodations are a must, but what else should you do?
Note that when you arrive at the Rome airport, you will need to take transportation to reach the Colosseum—given that the amphitheater is around 30 km away from the airport. Hence, you need to budget your money for this thing as well.
Need a cheap price for flights and hotels near Colosseum? Airpaz is your ultimate travel partner! Get your best deals and book simply through Airpaz Apps. No need to queue at the counter: with Airpaz, you’ll be just a few clicks away from booking that budget-friendly flights and accommodations.