Sunday Walking Street is one of best attractions in Chiang Mai, Thailand. As how it is called, the market takes place only on Sunday.
Besides Sunday walking street in Chiang Mai, the city has more others such as Ta Pae walking street, Wua Lia walking street and Ratchaphruek walking street.
They are great destinations for local shopping. Spare a little time at least to walk around Sunday walking street Chiang Mai.
Better to see something once, than to hear about it a thousand times
Sunday Walking Street Opening Hours
Sunday Walking street Chiang Mai location lies along Ratchadamnoen Road. It takes roughly 1km long starting from the Tha Phae Gate.
That is why you won’t be able to get through this street on Sunday as it is closed to traffic during Sunday walking street opening hours, i.e. from 4 pm to midnight.
As not all stalls have opened early, it is better to go to Sunday walking street Chiang Mai around 6 pm where the sun is about to set.
Sunday Walking Street Activities
There are many things to do during Sunday walking street Chiang Mai hours. It is the biggest and most popular local markets in the town. As tourists also prefer to go to Sunday walking street after the sunset around 6 pm or 7 pm, you can avoid the crowd by going there early. So, you can enjoy many Sunday walking street activities like:
• Walking and looking around – The market is located on a public road. The simplest thing to do is just walking along the way. Take a look at both your left and right sides along the Sunday walking street Chiang Mai.
• Shopping merchandise – Sunday walking street is more about craft shopping. You can find a lot of sellers offering various goods, especially the products created by Northern Thai people, with basic materials from silk, glass, wood, ceramic and others. There are also handicraft products to buy as gifts or decorations which are beautiful and useful sometimes. You may find some stuff at several stalls and do not hesitate to start bargaining for the best price.
• Eating local Thai foods – Sunday walking street Chiang Mai food is mostly filled with the Thai snacks and drinks, also some local-style specialties. Some stalls allow you to sit on low benches while others will require you to sit on the ground. If you look for some comfortable seats, you can go to regular cafes and bars.
• Watching talented artists performing –Sunday walking street Chiang Mai will get busier at night. Besides shopping and eating, there are many artists going to entertain everyone. They include street entertainers, musicians, dancers, puppeteers, and bands.
What to Buy Sunday Walking Street Market Chiang Mai
Figuring out what best things to shop when visiting a very large shopping avenue can be overwhelming. If you need a help to get the most from your pocket money, here are top things of what to buy Sunday walking street market, Chiang Mai:
• Costume Jewelry – Find various types of jewelry such as bracelets, rings, pins, bangles, and necklaces, ranging from traditional Thai to modern style to meet all age fashion fond.
• Hill tribe handicrafts – Vendors in Sunday walking street market offers the more authentic handicrafts from tribal Thai ethnics, including the Karen, the Hmong and the Lasu, than the ones sold at the famous Night Bazaar.
• Handmade Paper Products – Paper products made by hand from Thailand have been world known. Locals use mulberry paper to create much stuff from note cards to photograph frames. They also decorate it with pressed flowers and leaves.
• Original Artwork – The original works of art can be found in hundreds of stalls, made by high school students to local independent artists.
• Ceramics – If you love collecting ceramics, Sunday walking street Chiang Mai is the right place to go. You will find many beautiful handmade ceramics available in various designs and sizes.
How to Go to Sunday Walking Street from Bangkok
If you have already stayed in the city of Chiang Mai, you can simply get to Sunday walking street in Chiang Mai by walk.
There are also other ways like taking public transportation and hiring a car, bike or motorbike. But if you wonder how to go to Sunday walking street from Bangkok, the quickest option is by plane.